|Also known as||Emperor, Shao, King of the Worlds, Emperor Kahn, Shao Khan, father, Emperor Shao, Shao-Kok, Lord Shao|
|Nationality||He is from Outworld|
|Birthplace||Rakata, Outworld, Multiverse Federation|
|Eye colour||Red, orange|
|Height||7'2" (218 cm)|
|Weight||400 lbs (181.4 kg)|
|Career, affiliations and family information|
|Affiliation(s)||Kahn's Army, Shang Tsung, Reiko, Sindel, Mileena, Quan Chi (former), Shinnok, Kintaro, Goro, Onaga (only in MK 8), Baraka (former), Raiden (only in MK 8), Sektor, Bruno Tattaglia, Victor Barzini, Javier Escuella, Lord Farquaad, Leopold Strauss, Queen Almeida, Grizzly, Black Elk Tribe, Greedo, Jabba the Hutt, Red Harlow, The Red Lady, Skarlet|
|Enemies||Raiden, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kotal Kahn, Nightmare, Kitana, Baraka, Jade, Human Smoke, Nightwolf, Kurtis Stryker, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sonya Blade, Jax Briggs, Atlas Berningon, Rafael Sorel, Daiko Mishima, Sofitia Alexandra|
|Occupation(s)||Emperor of Outworld|
|Notable family members||Sindel (neffew), Mileena (neffew), Rain (son), Skarlet (neffew), Kitana (sister), Kotal Kahn (Son), Braan (father), unknown mother|
|Video Games, Movies and Cartoons information|
|Main appearance(s) (Video Games)||Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat III, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (cameo), Mortal Kombat: Return of The Dragon King (cameo), Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Mortal Kombat 9, Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe, Mortal Kombat X (statue only), Mortal Kombat 12, New Era events|
|Voiced by (English)||Bob Carter, Frank Welker, Nightmare Cinemas, Steve Ritchie, me, Brian Glynn, Jamieson Price, Arnold Schwarzenegger|
|Portrayed by||Brian Thompson, Frank Welker|
- "Hahahaha, foolish boy! Do you know who I am? I am Shao Kahn! Ruler of all the planets! You will taste no victory. You will taste fatality!"
- — Shao Kahn to Liu Kang
Shao Kahn is a central villain character in the Mortal Kombat fighting game series. He made his debut in Mortal Kombat II as the final boss, a role he also served in Mortal Kombat 3. He, along with Shinnok, serves as the main villain of the series in many instances and is one of the main villains of this Wiki.
About Shao Kahn
Shao Kahn the Emperor is represented as the guy of pure evil. In many respects, he resembles a large Asian warrior, and is well known amongst the roster of our Wiki for his godlike strength which rivals, if not outright exceeds, that of Raiden, the God of Thunder. He is also known for his extreme evilness, brutality, ferocity in battle, and his fondness of personal executions, though he has occasionally spared the lives of his enemies and allies, if they proved their worth, and his victims such as Sindel and Kitana, raising the latter like his own daughter and treating the former like his own wife. However, his true power that has served him well and allowed him to rise above the image of a mere warlord is his high intelligence and profound knowledge of the black arts. Like his personal sorcerer Shang Tsung, he has the power to consume other souls.
Perhaps Shao Kahn's greatest strength lies in his ability to work towards his goals with great tenacity and his ability to organise. However, his greatest weakness is his arrogance. Shao Kahn has often underestimated mankind, and therefore tried to conquer Earth many times, with or without a queen, to no success.
Shortly after Raiden had dealt with Prince Goro on Edenia, Kahn delivered the message to Lord Shinnok. Shinnok began to talk calmly with Shao, about how he was thrown from Heavens unjustified, and that Shao should not trust the Elder Gods. It was then that Shinnok finally had the manipulative fortitude to get into Shao's head. Shao, being jealous of his power, pulled out his hammer to kill him, but he knew that since he was a God, he had the power to save his wife plus he was immortal. In despair, Shao told Kai about the news. In great shock, Kai needed to move quickly to make sure that Raiden's warriors survive. Ordering Shao to stay at the Temple, he took various members of the Raiden's warriors, including Johnny Cage, to arrest the Fallen God. Kahn stared at the building which contained Shinnok's throne, and his thoughts and emotions took control of his decisions. Shao heard the God's voice in his head: "If Raiden destroys me, any chance of saving your wife will be lost." Shao could not lose Sindel the way he lost his mother. He hurried as fast as he could to Shinnok's throne.
After going to the palace of Shinnok, Shao found the Fallen God, literally on the ground, with Kai's sword blade pointed at his head. Kai told Kahn the only way to bring peace was to destroy the all Evil. But Kahn said it should not be done - he was not a good guy anyway. Shao had to make a choice. As soon as the blade started its way to kill the Fallen One, Shao's katana cut off Kai's hand. A smiling Shinnok yelled with power and throw Kai out the window with a giant skeleton hand. After helping the Dark Lord, the former "Good" Outworlder was no more. Emperor Shao Kahn had finally got his head straight.
In about 40 years later, Shao is charged with recovering the stolen plans of Outworld and finding the Raiden's alliance's secret base. He captures and "interrogates" Princess Kitana and, along with his general Reiko, sends his army to take over her home world of Edenia. Shortly afterwards, he duels his old enemy, the Thunder God Raiden, whom has arrived at Outworld to rescue Kitana, Shao defeats him, and beats him to unconsciousness. He then encounters Raiden's top warrior, Liu Kang, and senses in him a great strength, this is confirmed moments later when Liu battles and kills many members of Kahn's Army.
Getting rid of Cage
Soon after, Kahn captures Kitana, Cage, Kung Lao, and Cyrax on the planet Seido to lure Liu into a confrontation. He strikes a deal with the leader of Seidan Rebels, Darrius to give Kang over to the bounty hunter Sektor, and has Cage frozen in carbonise. Prince Rain, an old ally of Raiden, who has been partially trained by him, duels Kahn, but is eventually defeated, losing his right hand to Kahn's katana. Kahn then has his heart turned nice and reveals to Rain that he is his actual father and offers him a chance to overthrow Shinnok and rule the Universe with him. Rain accepts this, turning himself into a villain as well.
Some years later, Shao concocted a plan to lure the Earth champions to Outworld; if they could be killed, they would not be able to cause further damage to his plans. He captured Kano and Sonya Blade to use as bait, and enraging Liu Kang by sending Baraka and his troops to destroy the Shaolin temples, they confidently waited for the Earth warriors to fall into their trap. Despite Kahn's vast power, Kang's determination saw him through, and he defeated the despot. Unwilling to accept defeat, Kahn called his armies to destroy the Earth warriors. They fled back to Earth, out of Shao's clutches.
It was later revealed that the Shao killed by Shang and Chi was actually a clone and that after being weakened from his attempted takeover of Earth, Shao had created the clone to rule Outworld for him, while he recovered. Shao Kahn found his former servant, Goro, mortally wounded and healed him, regaining the allegiance of the Shokan. The two set out to overthrow Onaga, so as to let the emperor regain his control over Outworld.
Shao Kahn had become the ruler of once Outworld again and joined forces with Quan Chi, Shang Tsung, and Onaga in an uneasy alliance so as to gain the god like powers of the elemental Blaze. In his ending, Shao defeated Blaze and claimed his powers, destroying all of his enemies. He eventually conquered all other planets and joined them with his own. However, with nothing left to conquer, Shao Kahn went insane from the boredom.
At the beginning of the Mortal Kombat 9 story, everyone dies during the battle of Armageddon. The only ones who were left standing were Raiden and Shao Kahn. Before Raven was killed by Shao's wrath Hammer, the thunder god showed glimpses to his past self so he can alter the future and gives him one message: "He must win!".
After Liu Kang won the the original Mortal Kombat tournament, Shang told Shao that if he called for another tournament and won, he could take control of the Earth. During the tournament, he was planning to execute Kitana after she founded out what he was planning; creating a "perfect daughter" to replace her. Another thing that Shao did during the tournament is that he killed Kung Lao dishonourably after he defeated both Quan Chi and Shang Tsung at the same time. Enraged, Kang jumped in and fought Kahn. Even with his strength, Shao lost and nearly died in the process. Everyone thought that he was dead, but Raiden's amulet was still cracked. It turns out that Quan accelerated his healing.
Since Shao lost the Mortal Kombat tournament, he could not invade Earth. However, Quan Chi recommended an invasion anyways, saying that the Elder Gods were too weak to stop him. In order to start an invasion, Sindel needed to be revived, whom Quan revived. During the invasion, almost every hero died, except for Raiden, Sonya Blade, and Johnny Cage. After Johnny and Sonya retreated with a mortally wounded Liu Kang, Shao entered Earth and fought Raiden. During the final battle between Kahn and Raiden, the Elder Gods granted Raiden some of their power to help him fight back.
With the help of the Gods, Raiden managed to defeat Shao. Shao's damaged Helmet was later taken by the manipulative Quan Chi, acting all under the orders of the Fallen One - Shinnok.
At the beginning of Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe, Shao Kahn had escaped from his jail, wounded and was met in a graveyard with his secret ally, Quan Chi. He was blasted into a portal by a blast of lightning from Raven, causing him to combine with Darkseid and transform into Dark Kahn. After his defeat, Shao ended up in a destroyed palace of Dork Khan, rendered powerless. Shao was then imprisoned in the space once again by the Gods.
Shenanigans with Siegfried
In 2018, Shao Kahn personally led an attack on the Durian homeworld of Duro. Kahn then arrived on the planet in his royal shuttle, and began his search for a rogue half-angel and former adviser to the Elder Gods named Sofitia Alexandra.
Shao and his men killed many Durian warriors along the way, most of them being from the Sorel Empire. Kahn found the astonishing girl he was looking for, and they engaged in a fierce weapon-to-weapon duel. Kahn won the fight, and pushed Sofitia into her wooden cabin of a base. The Emperor then walked in, but before he could finish off the half-angel, his Wrath Hammer gets pulled out of his hands by the angel Siegfried. Sofitia yelled for help, but Shao crushing her throat with his mighty alien hand, killing her. After engaging in combat with Siegfried, Kahn defeats him and has him taken hostage on Outworld while his army sieges most of Duro's forest. Siegfried is then forced to become Shao's secret apprentice.
For many months, Shao has trained Siegfried in the ways of the Forces of Darkness. Eventually, the Kahn sent his apprentice on a top secret mission to find and kill the enemies of both: Outworld and the Never Never Land with whom Shao has made a trusty alliance. Shao eventually hired the robot Hydro to try and kill Siegfried as part of the angel's training. Siegfried eventually killed Hydro after finding out the robot's programming and hiring to kill him much to Shao's dismay.
In 2019 Siegfried's training was complete, and Shao send him to get his hands on his first real target; Kazim Paparatus on the other side of Outworld, in some broken-s junkyard.
Despite Shao's disbelief in the success of his apprentice surviving against Paparatus, Siegfried triumphed over the Worshipper of Kunpaet, determined to prove that he was worthy to stand at Kahn's side and be joined in his plans to destroy Despite Vader's belief in the unlikelihood of his apprentice's survival against Paratus, Starkiller triumphed over the Jedi Master, determined to prove that he was worthy to stand at Vader's side and destroy Shinnok and conquer the Never Land.
Although Siegfried had proved that even some of the most seasoned warriors were no match against his raw and angry power, Shao was hardly impressed with victory of Kazim. He demanded more evidence of the angel's strength in the dark side before sending him to confront a more challenging opponent. Thus, he sent Siegfried to Edenia to participate in an ancient Edenian trial Shao made himself up just a sec ago.
'Fried successfully completed the newborn trial and Shao congratulated his young apprentice and felt that the time was right and ripe to test Siegfried's abilities against a being Shao once loved the most; Sindel. Sindel has been freed from Shinnok's control ever since the New Era events and was hoping on rebuilding Edenia and her monarchy. With great anticipation and satisfaction that his next kill would finally lead him to his "destiny", Siegfried immediately travelled to Sindel's new hideout, overcoming all that stood in his way on the forest-infested world and justifying Shao's faith in him by killing the legendary Queen and most of the Edenian Rebels, or so he thought.
With Sindel's death, Siegfried's trials had been completed, his destiny shaped. Shao recalled his new apprentice back to his throne room, where Kahn assured the angel that they would finally kill Lord of the Never Never Land and rule the galaxy together as Master and apprentice.
But unknown to Siegfried, Shao had no intention of ever killing Shinnok, nor did he have any faith in Siegfried at all. Shao, faced with Shinnok's appearance in his throne room, betrayed his shocked apprentice by impaling him through the chest with a sword. "The sweet scent of betrayal, nyaing!" proclaimed the Kahn. After a moment of pause, Shao threw the blondest angel from his skull balcony, Shinnok laughing manically "Yes! YES! Kill him, Lord Shao!" However, when rumours that Siegfried survived the fall turned out to be true, the Emperor made sure Sieg's body was retrieved and brought to his science rooms, Sektor's Flesh Laboratory. Upon the so-called apprentice's full recovery, Shao excused his betrayal as a mere prank, as Shinnok loved a good joke or a so called meme. Siegfried, although clearly bitter and mad as all hell over the betrayal and for being denied the chance to finally rule the Multiverse Federation plus Duro, nevertheless resigned himself to his fate and obediently submitted once more to Shao's will, not like that he had any choice in the first place.
With his every move under very close observation by the Emperor and possibly even the Dark Lord, Siegfried felt helpless like never before and was a complete beta to the alphas like Shao and Shinnok. Under Shao's new orders, Siegfried was ordered to create an alliance of rebels and dissidents under the pretence that the Emperor and the angel will once again team up in the end to kill Shinnok while his guard would be down. Thus, the angle was ordered to take great care in maintaining the secrecy of his missions, so as to not alert the Lord of Hell of his survival, not reveal his true motives to his imminent rebel allies on Duro and beyond. Little did 'Fried know that all of this was already planned by Shinnok beforehand and Shao was once again pulling Sieg's strings! Twistin' his mind and smashing his dreams!
When Siegfried found a valuable ally in Kotal Kahn, he was told that he needed a target to show that Kahn's empire was vulnerable to those that silently opposed it. Seeking his master's council, Shao suggested that the shipyard over Edenia would be a sufficient target as the clearest sign of the Emperor's reign through fear was symbolized by the awesome might of his. Although his apprentice remained loyal, Shao could sense that Siegfried was developing feelings for his supposed allies. He sternly reminded the angel of where his allegiance truly belonged, a fact which the blond angel solemnly accepted.
Afterward, the Kahn informed the apprentice of the extent of his successful mission, claiming that Shinnok was greatly displeased at the events on Duro. Siegfried advised that he could not maintain communications with Shao for the time being, mainly so that the Rebels would not suspect his identity or his past under Kahn, which could potentially undo all that he had accomplished in forming the rebellion with rebellion. However, Shao had other plans and swiftly captured the rebel senators (lead by Peppermint Pepey) of Edenia when they met. After revealing to the leaders of the seemingly short-lived alliance that Siegfried was his own secret apprentice, Shao once again assaulted his pupil, only this time with true lethal intent. Unable to bear a second betrayal, the angle bitterly lamented that he had been played a fool once again, to which Shao informed him that he never intended to destroy Shinnok or takeover Hell, it was always a prank. It was then that the apprentice realised the truth — that he was just as expendable as absolute pawn, and was meaningless to Shao and the Forces of Darkness. By drawing out the Edenian leaders into one place just so they could be revealed and arrested, Siegfried had fulfilled his purpose and outlived his usefulness. Just as he was on the verge of killing his apprentice, Hydro, distracted the Emperor in a short duel. Although Shao easily defeated the roboticus, Siegfried was gone, having fallen off the cliff outside the rebel site, escaping.
Shao brought the rebel senators and traitors to Outworld, where they would be interrogated through torture in order to reveal the location of their friends and allies, only to be publicly executed by the Emperor later, watched and cheered on by thousand of outworlders. To everyone's surprise, Siegfried was still alive and had infiltrated the palace with the intention of rescuing the Edenian leaders, as well as to seek revenge against his former master. As a sign of his bitterness toward Shao's repeated betrayals, the angel spat on his flags. Shao defeated him, doe, but on the advice of Moon Kalamari, spared him so he could have some private time with him later in his throne room.
Shao invited a bunch of other villains to his tower as well, and Lord Shinnek was greatly pleased by the outcome. However, to everyone's surprise, this time Siegfried put up a fight and Shinnok gradually became bitter and spiteful of him as was Shao. Siegfried went berserk, really. Now seeing Shao humbled and beaten by a superior opponent, Sinnok was stunned but wasted no time in encouraging the young angle to kill his Outworld's defeated and broken master, thus Shinnok finally betrayed his long-time ally. After a few moments of hesitation, Siegfred chose to ignore his broken Emperor on the floor and confronted the Devil himself! Catching him by surprise, throwing a ninja dagger into his eye! Siegfried fought as if he was fuelled by the Gods' powers themselve, and quickly overpowered the Dark Lord. Far from accepting defeat despite death being unknown to him, Shinnok goaded the angel one last time to kill the purple Emperor, whom was sitting on the floor, nyaing around. Speaking of a greener devil, Total Kotal arrived with a spaceship of sorts just in time to Shao's throne room, goading the angel to resist his murderous outrage one last time. Outraged, the Emperor Shao got up and smashed Kotal on the floor, refusing to astray Sieg to the Forces of Light. Siegfried ignores the two half-brothers' bickering and once again approaches Shinnik.
Shao at the time knocks out Ko'atal and musters a squadron of his soldiers up in order to kill the angel. Siegfried then saw that surely he was doomed. Siegfried just let out one final yell to the captured Edenians to escape while he was getting shot down and stabbed all around plus assaulted by Shao's men. After slaughtering the angel to bits, a severely depressed Shao slowly approached the body of Sieg, just as Shinnok also recovered and looked down at Siegfried's corpse with utter shock and disappointment. Shao, his voice solemn, noted that the angel was truly dead this time. Shinnok apologised Shao for his betrayal, assuring him that it was just a prank as well, a meme of his own, while the rest of their allies returned back to the throne room, where Daegon proclaimed a feast.
Mortal Kombat film
Shao Kahn appears in both Mortal Kombat movies. In the first movie, Kahn's appearance is only as a special effect at the end of the film (though he is referred to throughout the movie only as "the Emperor").
In the second, Shao is played by Brian Thompson and is the main enemy. He is ultimately defeated and killed by Liu Kang in the final battle.
In Annihilation, as an attempt to shock the viewer, Raiden announced that Shao Kahn was his friend once and Shinnok is like Shao's father (which was actually canon in the original timeline). He wore the same tattoo on his right shoulder as a sign of their friendship.
Own told Bio
Nyain! NYAAAIINNNGG!!! As a child, I was a terrible spoiled brat. I grew up on Outworld in Rakata and was always jelly of my super-cool half god of a brother - Kotal Kahn. Nyaing. The good news were I got sumfin he dun got; An awesome-s cape, helmet and sweet-s intellectually disabled voice the ladies go crazy for. I became the Emperor of Outworld one day after I destroyed the silly Dragon King, Onaga. I also used to take orders from Shinnok. I crushed a silly, shiny planet called Maydaria after they refused to bow to my rule! I finally convinced my son Rain to join me on Orderworld in the late 1980's, I think. I am currently imprisoned somewhere randomly between the stars in space by the cursed and wretched Elder Gods that all deserve to be killed! Even Shinnok! My dumb-s Rodian brother Kotal now runs Outworld.
Powers and abilities
Shao Kahn is extremely powerful, able to utilise superhuman strength and magic. He wields the powerful wrath hammer, which can send opponents flying with one strike, and he seems to have some knowledge in cloning, as seen in Deadly Alliance. Shao's moves include a powerful shoulder barge, a green communist star-like fire ball that he fires from his facial area, an uppercut that both generates a shield against projectiles and knocks opponents off their feet, and a rising knee attack that generates a streak behind him. He is also shown to be an expert on several Asian fighting styles, including Kung Fu, Tai Tzu, Karate and Lui He.
- "You weak pathetic fools, I've come for your souls!"
- "Hold your tongue, sorcerer!"
- "Raiden... You will be destroyed."
- "Quan Chi!? Traitor!"
- "What have you done?! No!"
- "What in the name of Gods are u talkin' 'bout?"
- "Sindel never really told u what happened to your father..."
- "No. I am your father."
- "Where are the Elder Gods, Raiden? Nyaing. (Lols)"
- "Their pathetic Mortal Kombat shackles me no longer (hits Raiden). Nyaaaing."
- "They made it for bestest of dragon warriors, but not for your pathetic toothless worms."
- "My power spreads. It is the end of all the living. The World."
- "First... my bowls! And then... The World! NYYAAAING!!!"
- "Your time has passed."
- "Ages wasted in foolish resistance."
- "Now it is the start of my rule... Armageddin."
- "Yes. Pray to the worms, Raiden."
- "As your world ends. (Preparing to kill Raiden)"
- "You failed me! Five hundred years I have waited! Now I must wait fifty more! Nyaaing!"
- "Curse the Elder Gods and their stinkin' tournament. I should have taken Earth by the force!"
- "The tournament will now begin!"
- "Finish him! Nyaaain."
- "Kitana... You will join me."
- "(name) wins. Fatality."
- "And what do I gain from granting this bold request?"
- "Very well. He's yours."
- "Kitana! How is it that Earth ninjas fart before me when my daughter, Princess of Edenia, was sent to intercept them?"
- "Well done, Sektor."
- "I am your EMPEROR! Naying! Your father was a weak Edenian king. I killed him while merging his worthless planet with Outworld and took his queen as my wife. If only I had not allowed Sindel to convince me of your worth. But now I have a true daughter!"
- "Return to the Flesh Laboratory. Bring me my daughter... Mileena."
- "Raiden! Put a worthy champion if you can. Nyaaain."
- "You will face Sektor... And... Quan Chi."
- "Hahaha! Worthless boy. Do you know who I am?"
- "And you breathe because I let you."
- "I am not so easily killed. Quan Chi resurrected me."
- "Are you mocking me?"
- "Bow to me!"
- "Feel the power of Shao Kahn!"
- "You suck!"
- "Don't make me laugh."
- "You will never win!"
- "You will die, worm!"
- "Prepare to die!"
- "You are pathetic!"
- "Is that your best?"
- "That was pathetic!"
- "You weak, pathetic, fool!"
- "You are nothing!"
- "You suck! Still."
- "It's official: You suck!"
- "Superior! I win! YOU SUCK!"
- "As long as teh portal remains open, nyaaaiing! YOUR world becomes MY world! Nyyaaaannn!"
- "I am Shao Kahn! Nyaaain! You will all bow to me!"
- "Put zat cookie down, now! Nyaaaing!"
- "Mr. Bieber, why'd your team lose!? NO EXCUSIS! Off to zee gas chamber!"
- "Shinnok was powerful, but he was no conqueror!"
- "How stupid was Kotal to ever expect loyalty from you, D'Vorah?"
- "Naaing. How's your neck, Kung Lao?"
- "Shao Kahn here! Nyaaaing! Back from the Heavens' prisen! Awww, sith! General Reiko, my loyally trusted general! He one of the rarest ninjas left in the game! You no never hear speech like this! Nyaaain! We bring the bishes to the yard for barbecue! My speech? Oh hello! Remembah' me? Number 1 Outworlder, dead Chinese. Now I'm a ghost. Das all folks! No more children in bed with me. :( I take train to Pyongyongyang and I fall asleep and die from oldness. Now I go shopping with Steve Jobs and do Hussein's dry cleaning! My Korea's over! That's it for me! Can't bomb Earth no more! Or Hawaii. I can't get a boner! It hard for me! Say hello to my little green-s bro: Hello to Kotal Ching-Bang Kahn! I like yumans, humans is nice, 'specially with pork fry rice! Jk, I don't eat yumans. Too salty fo' mah' tastes. I sorry, my daughter bit you, here's some sweet and sour Shih-Tzu! Look how my people cry to me; "Ah, boo-hoo, we want food!" Oh, you so hungry, you want food? Don't blame me, I voted Kotal! There's enough food in Outworld for my family, you could order some Chinese. It looks like my dark rule's over! That's it for me. Can't bomb Earthrealm no more! Or Hawaii. Why does that poor guy take your stuff from me? Well, say hello to my little green-s bro. Hello to Ko'atal Ching-Bang Khan! Goodbye, my fellow Outworlders, think of me when you poop and peein'. I will watch over you, hey Shokans! Fuk both of you! Now I kick in with Bang Jinrei, smoke some crack and grab a few tits. Soon my bruh will drop the bomb on South Outworld. Oh look! It's gone! I just tryna' blow up China, take a steak, bathe a vagina. South Outworld's about to see a Ground Zero meet Hiroshima! My Korea's over! That's it for me! Can't bomb Earth no more! Nor Hawaii. I like raping hobos! It's fun for me. Say hello to my little b-tard bro: Hello to Kotal Kahn! I may be dead... But the dream of a free, united Outworld lives! Nyaain, forever! I died by the hands of teh Elder Gods, yet they had teeth like some children. So you see, my bro, you must be good leader. American racist president can't even read, probly'! Huh? Don't shoot me PEARL HARBOUR! My reign's over! Das it 4 me! Can't bomb East Outworld no more! Or Hawaii! I can't get a boner. It's hard for me! Say hello to my little green, b-tard bro! Hello to Kotal Ching-Bang Kahn! I like Asian Joe bros! Ha ha he he! Oh, hello Jack Marston! I not see you since we do sleepover with Michael Coleman! Let's go watch Home Alone: Tokyo. We get sushi. Remember my bruh, Kotal? You babysit him - now he dear leader of Outworld! Zaggot's evil son! My dipsith bastard bro! Goodbye, The Red Lady, I'll never forget zat night!"
- — Shao Kahn's last speech he told Outworld from the Heavens
In Rap Battle 1
You can't rhyme against the dark side of the force. Why even bother?
So many dudes been with yo mom who even knows if I'm your father?
You're a pissed off little prik with a Barzini dik.
You call that a moustache? I call that Dirty Sanchez on yo lip.
You idiot, let me remind you who you're messing with.
Everything that you did, I'm the motafaka who invented it.
I'm the original Dark Lord. You're like the sorcerer's apprentice.
My tarkatans make yours look like someone took a piece of sith and cloned it.
Nyain! Suck my alien balls.
Now take a step back and let me freeze yours off!
A little carbonise bath for your goose-stepping s.
We'll call my homeboy in Outworld, ta' see who got the last laugh.
In Rap Battle 2
Someone who loathes you, bish, now stand up and rhyme.
I only thawed you out so I could beat yo' s a second time!
Roar like Chewbacca, the voice of Mufasa,
I'm on the leader of your limp-diked Luftwaffe!
I strike back hard against a Nazi!
Brain toss yo' s in the air, Yahtzee!
Ask John Marston who the fah I am.
I spit sith so focused I break your concentration camp!
I'm a certified Dark Lord, you runt!
So suck on deez... uh,
Uh, these what sir?
Deez alien nuts!
I'm gonna enjoy watchin' you die,
So let me do it with my own eyes.
In Rap Battle 3
Let me paint you a picture, son:
Portrait of a biatch after World War I!
You were stirring up the fears of the German people;
Telling the world that the aliens are evil!
You wrote a little book, got 'em fired up,
Had a Beer Hall Putsch, got 'em fired up,
When your bunker started getting fired up,
You put a gun in your soldier's mouth and fired up!
You dumb motherfawker, didn't Valirover let you know?
When you conquer Russia, better pack some fuacking winter clothes!
While you're fighting off Valkyrie,
I got a million tarkatans; they'd die for me!
My bounty hunters ride for me!
Yo homeboy, finish this rhyme for me! Nyaain.
Sektor: They call me Sektor, yo! You wanna mess with me?
I'll put my balls in your mouth like boba tea!
I got a jet pack, yo; you know I steal the show!
'Cause when I rock a microphone—
(Sektor lets out a wild scream as he is shot off the screen by Tutchenko)
In Rap Battle 4
Adam? Sigh? You mean what I did when I saw you in a lawn-chair laying down?
Watching little boys on the playground?
And if you took off your mask down,
Nobody'd know who you are!
Biatch, I'm a star!
Me and Rodman gon' make Manhunt 4!
You can pind us where the chicks are chillin'.
Don't hire the yellow dude, guy looks like an Illumination villain!
I seized the power, I will destroy!
Like the Bolsheviks in 1917, you're a Chinese Soulja Boy!
Your fat jokes don't affect me! I'm the King of the Outworld!
And winter is coming real fast, nyaaain!
Hide your twin daughters!
You've got China fans?
I've got fawking Centaurs!
Gentleman? Didn't you get the memo??
Nice guys finish last!
You're not gonna be able to copy off Gangnam Style when I put your arm in a cast!
You're a fad!
You're just mad 'cus you're no longer top of the billboard charts!
Now I'll hang you from the top of the billboard in parts! Nyain!
I'm a North Outworld leader, fighter, fortune cookie reader and an alien pussi-eater!
You're lamer than JD Bieber!
Got a little Bell-dik and a brittle sidekick!
I'm worth 5 gorillion!
This is genocide, biatchy!
Personality and traits
Shao Kahn is violent, ruthless, sarcastic, persuasive, egotistical, and bloodthirsty emperor, so he has driven to his goals, yet also possesses a strange sense of humour, laughing maniacally all the bloody time. He desires only power and will do anything to make sure he has it, showing great paranoia at times. Kahn is also extremely manipulative, arrogant, and cruel, so he desires only to conquer other planets and add them to his own. He also shows compassion and romanticism in some scenes, such as once he seduced and charmed several women in the Never Never Land, including two of Quan Chi's undead female slaves and shows a fatherly, caring relationship with Kitana despite the fact that she is covertly working against him.
- Kahn, as seen unmasked, has large human teeth similar to human-akaka.
- In Mortal Kombat: Return of The Dragon King; Konquest, he forces Shujinko to clean and sweep all the floors in Outworld, then they can talk about mercy. Take him away!
- One of Olaf Tutchenko's main goals was to destroy Shao Kahn and his 'alien' race.
- Shao's name is sometimes spelled as "Shao Khan".
- Though Shao Kahn is shown to be well over 1,000 years old, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon places him as being even older. Shao Kahn was shown to be highly famous before Steven and Daegon were seen and born. In Shinnok's ending in Mortal Kombat 4, he states that Raiden had imprisoned him for "hundreds of millions of years". Contrarily, Raiden states in the intro of the game that it was only some thousands of years. The fact that Shinnok's ending is non-canon may mean that it was in fact not million years and only a week. This also indicates that Shao Kahn had been attempting to conquer Edenia for a very long time, since Steven stated that Shao Kahn had launched an unsuccessful invasion before he was sealed.
- Shao Kahn's "mask" is actually a Kabuto, a Japanese Samurai helmet with a Menpō, a facemask commonly worn with the Kabuto.
- Despite being the "announcer" for most games, Shao Kahn will have a different voice actor in-game than when commentating.
- In a top 10 villains list hosted by Domenico Von Crane itself, Shao Kahn was placed as 4 of the best Multiverse Federation villains because of his quotes.
- His rapping background were steps of Pyramid of Argus and his castle, and his opponents were the Ultranationalist General and leader of the Third Reich, Olaf Tutchenko plus the first communist leader of China, Kizkakati Feng Jia.
- Shao is in fact taller than his Shokan bodyguard Kintaro.
- For being more of a major character on the Wiki, Shao, along with Olaf Tutchenko, was in the most rap battles there is, appearing in 4 rap battles each.
Due to being his stage's theme in MK Chaotic and for fitting his alien s so well, Shao's theme is Requirement for a Dream.